Search This Blog

Monday, March 21, 2022

In celebration of World Poetry Day 2022

 I first posted the poem below, a translation, to celebrate Barcelona's Poetry Week 2018. The original is Joan Timoneda's "Só qui só, from the version sung by Raimon. As will be obvious it's a love poem/song. It can be found on YouTube among other places. Wikipedia has information about Timoneda (~1518-1583) but as far as I can see only in Catalan and Spanish, although it should be easy enough to get that translated. So Happy Poetry Day---taking poetry in the ample sense of creative activity! The poem and translation:



Só qui só

Só qui só, que no só io,
Puix mudat d’amor me só.

Io crec cert que res no sia,
o, si só, só fantasia,
o algun home que somia
que ve alcançar algun do,
puix mudat d’amor me só.

Só del tot transfigurat;
só aquell que era llibertat,
i ara d’amors cativat
me veig molt fora raó,
puix mudat d’amor me só.

Sí só, puix que en lo món vixc
i a mi mateix avorrixc,
i segons que discernixc
veig la qui em dóna passió
puix d’amor mudat me só.

                                                                                          Joan Timoneda, 1556
My translation (version 1):

I am who I am

I am who I am, I am not I,
for by love changed am I.

I well believe that nothing is,
and, if I am, I’m fantasy,
or some man who dreams
he may attain some gift,
for by love I’m changed.

I am fully transfigured;
I am who was freedom,
and now by loves made captive
I see myself gone mad,
for by love am I changed.

Yet I am, for in the world I do live
And do weary even myself,
and by my discerning
do see her who fires my passion
for by love changed am I.

No comments:

Post a Comment